When Demetrios Poliorketes took Sikyon in 303 BCE, this ancient polis was located on the plain. He relocated it to a plateau, the original acropolis, and gave it an integrated city plan taking its orientation from the archaic temple by the new Agora. The archaeological site of Sikyon includes the public buildings of the Hellenistic Agora which were discovered during the excavations, the Gymnasium, the Bouleuterion, a portico as well as an archaic temple which is identified with the temple of Artemis Limnaia or according to others, with the temple of Apollo.
The excavations at Sikyon began at the end of the 19th century (1889) with the investigations of the ancient Theatre as well as the ancient Acropolis. During the 20th century, the archaic temple was excavated by A. Philadelpheus in 1926 and by A. Orlandos in 1937.
The excavations of the Agora and its public buildings as well as of the Theatre, the roman Baths and the surrounding area started in 1926 with Philadelpheus, continued with A. Orlandos (from 1935 to 1941 and 1951-1954) as well as the former Ephor of Antiquities, Mrs P. Chrystalli-Votsi.
Since 2015 a Danish team has been exploring the site of the Classical city, with geophysical exploration, surveys, and test trenches. Prof. Yannis Lolos of the University of Thessaly has been excavating in the Hellenistic city (2017/18).
(Odysseus, Greek Ministry of Culture)