Corinth/Korinthos (Korinthia) 1720 Archaia Korinthos - Κόρινθος
Κόρινθος - Corinth, Bronze Age to Medieval crossroads city and capital, Archaia Korinthos, Korinthia Peloponnese
Place ID: 379229PKor
Time period: BACHRLM
Mod: Archaia Korinthos
Read summary reports on the recent excavations at Corinth in Chronique des fouilles en ligne – Archaeology in Greece Online.
Search for inscriptions mentioning Corinth (Κορινθ...) in the PHI Epigraphy database.
The city was reinhabited in 44 B.C. and gradually developed again. In 51/52 A.D., Apostle Paul visited Corinth. The centre of the Roman city was organized to the south of the temple of Apollo and included shops, small shrines, fountains, baths and other public buildings.
The invasion of the Herulians in A.D. 267 , initiated the decline of the city though it remained inhabited for many centuries through successive invasions and destructions, until it was liberated from the Turks in 1822.
Limited excavations were conducted in 1892 and 1906 by the Archaeological Society of Athens under the direction of A. Skias. The systematic excavations of the area, initiated by the American School of Classical Studies in 1896, are still continuing today.
The archaeological site of Ancient Corinth lays on the northern foothills of the Acrocorinth hill, around the Temple of Apollo. Extended excavations and have brought to light the Roman Forum, temples, fountains, shops, porticoes, baths and various other monuments. The investigations extended also to the fortress on Acrocorinth, the prehistoric settlements of the Corinthian Valley to the north, such as the Korakou hill, the Theatre, the Odeion, the Asclepeion, the cemeteries, the Quarter of the Potters, and other buildings outside the main archaeological site.
The finds are exhibited in the Archaeological Museum of Ancient Corinth.
Chronique des Fouilles link
Wikidata ID: Q1363688
Trismegistos Geo: 1163
(Odysseus, Greek Ministry of Culture)