Pele site (Kos) 3 Pili - Πέλη
Pele, Hellenistic to Roman settlement site in Kos Dodecanese Greece
By the middle of the 19th century, Palaio Pyli was abandoned and the population had settled at Pyli, 3km to the northwest, in an area that already had a long history of its own, and possessed interesting monuments from Antiquity and Byzantine times. Below and across the centre of the village to the southwest is the Fountain of Harmylos, probably once an ancient spring house, but restored in 1592—according to an inscription on its face—into the four-square stone structure with its six gushing water-spouts. Just downstream from here is a severe, stone building, referred to as the Peripatos Castle (‘Peripatos' was a name used for Pyli by the Florentine traveller, Cristoforo Buondelmonti, when he came to the island in c. 1418). It is a keep-like structure of the 15th century, with a large (once vaulted) chamber in its centre, constituting the core of a fortified residence for the land-owner of this productive area.
Info: McGilchrist's Greek Islands
(From McGilchrist’s Greek Islands, © Nigel McGilchrist 2010, excerpted with his gracious permission. Click for the books)