Tylisos (Crete) 2 Tylissos - Τύλισος
Τύλισος - Tylisos, Minoan settlement, later a Classical to Roman polis, at modern Tylissos, Irakleio Crete
Place ID: 353250PTyl
Time period: CHR
- IDAI gazetteer ID
Search for inscriptions mentioning Tylisos (Τυλισ...) in the PHI Epigraphy database.
Tylissos was excavated by Joseph Chatzidakis in 1902-1913. In 1954, in the course of restorations, parts of a paved court were revealed to the west, and a small stoa with five columns to the north of the Square of the Altar.
The most important monuments of the site are:
- House A. It is the largest of the three excavated houses and has a monumental entrance with two pillars on the east side. The southern part of the house contains the hall with the polythyron (pier-and-door partition), the pillar crypt and the lustral basin. The northern part is occupied by storerooms.
- House B. The rectangular house consists of 21 rooms, including a vestibule, guardhouse, staircase, open courtyard, kitchen or hearth, a hall with a polythyron and various other compartments.
- House C. Its structure is similar to the other two houses. It consists of 23 rooms, including three staircases giving access to the upper floor. Cistern D is preserved at the NE corner. The house is dated to the LM III period (14th-11th centuries B.C.).
- Clay pipes of an aqueduct, found 38 m. NW of House C. They carried the water of the spring of Aghios Mamas, which even today is the water source of the village.
- Square of the Altar. It was paved with flagstones and in its northern section, parts of a small portico with five columns were revealed.
Wikidata ID: Q38280988
Trismegistos Geo: 33296
(Odysseus, Greek Ministry of Culture)